Monday, August 23, 2010

Some good advice from examinees who passed!

Most of my questions were what to do "first" and "next". I would venture to say these questions were 75% of the exam. I learned two mnemonic devices that really helped me. They were: 1. ASPIRINS: Assess, Start where the client is, Protect life, Informed consent, Rule out medical, Intoxicated - do not treat, Nonjudgmental, and Support self determination. 2. AREA-FI: Acknowledge, Refer, Educate, Advocate, Facilitate, and Intervene. The helped me to stay focused and help me choose an answer. Don't over study (easier said than done, I know) and don't over think the questions or the answers. The questions are based on the "perfect world and endless resources", so you really have to think what would I do in a perfect setting. You only have the answers there...just try not to read to much into it. And go with your gut. I didn't flag a lot of questions (maybe 10-15 at the most) and I didn't go back and change any answers that I didn't flag. After going through all 170 questions you will be mentally tired. And try to take a break half way through even if you don't think you need it! Just go in the bathroom, wet your face, and take a deep breath. I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions. I hope I haven't confused you too much.
 
  Reply by Nicola Harper on March 5, 2010 at 5:08pm
I can't think of specifics. I had the ASWB study guide and I retook those questions just to keep my mind around what they were looking for. Another thing is to remember that you only have the options on the test and that this test is not what you would do at work, but what you would do in a "perfect" setting. Again alot of the questions were to figure out what you would do "First" or "Next".
 
I used Dr. Dziegielewski study book and this website's free practice exam. I also used the DSM-IV and Social Work Dictionay to refresh on terms I wasn't familiar with or had forgotten.

6 comments:

  1. How often and for how many hours did you all study for the LCSW exam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mnemonic devices. I just wanted to clarify. So when you were asked on the exam what to do first you would just follow the assess, start where CT is etc etc? Then what are you using the AREA-FI device? Thanks again and sorry for the stupid question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful advice. I used an exam prep guide from Theapist Development Center. (http://www.therapistdevelopmentcenter.com/exam-prep/social-work) I passed my first time. I would recommend them to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally need a trainer or coach to help me. I just can't seem to push myself that extra mile without support. I looked into the link AmandaW posted ( http://www.therapistdevelopmentcenter.com/exam-prep/social-work ) I read that they have coaches to help you free with their course. I'll give them a try and thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I studied for this test and took alot of different advice for passing the test and only when i went with http://www.therapistdevelopmentcenter.com/exam-prep/social-worksw did it even make a dent in my mind. thanks Glen and Amanda i really appreciate your comments. the coaching did wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saying that i appreciate this blog is such an understatement. thank you so much. i have tested and failed the LCSW twice now and i have wanted to give up, but i am not going to. i know the material ( i just do terrible on tests) but i have started working with https://www.socialworkhelper.com/2015/06/01/need-help-passing-social-work-licensing-exam/ and so far so good. thanks so much. and Annewow i appreciate your comment about TDC. they are great.

    ReplyDelete